Monday, April 18, 2011

Crib Skirt and Lined Drawers

So as I mentioned in my previous post, it is impossible to find anything gray or orange for babies. And if I do manage to find something similar to what I want, it's like crazy expensive. I found one gray crib skirt and it was over $40, um....No Thanks! So off to the fabric store Chase and I went. And might I add that the fabric store is Chase's least favorite place in the entire world to be, even for a minute. Seriously, when he was younger he would start crying as soon as his mom pulled into the parking lot. He's got issues :) He wanted to leave class early, so being the awesome wife that I am told him he could stay in class or come with me and it worked! He came with me. What a gem.

Chase and I went to 3 different fabric stores before I found some dang gray material. And I wasn't being picky here, I just wanted something gray that didn't have flowers all over it. It took until we were walking out of the 3rd fabric store before I found some! It was a joyous moment, pretty sure I sang a little song for Chase in my happy moment right there in the store. We got a little less than 2 yards and it came out to be under $10. Heck ya.

My wonderful mother let me steal borrow-with-no-intent-on-returning her sewing machine and all her sewing stuff, so all I needed was the fabric. I found this easy tutorial on YHL and used it for reference, although I made mine a little differently. I seriously made the entire thing in less than an hour, and it was super easy! I liked the idea of velco to attach the skirt to the crib because it will be easy to adjust later. And again, Gretta pulled through and had some velco in her sewing box. Score! When Chase got home, we quickly put the skirt in place and ta-da! We have a crib skirt that is gray, that didn't cost me $40, and is custom fit for our crib. Hooray! The hardest part was trying to get the backing off of the velco, the stuff was super glued on I swear! Good thing Chasey was there to help.

 I did have to do a little coaxing to get Chasey up from his nap. This kid kills me.

 I just cut out three pieces of fabric, (for the front and two sides, I didn't do the back) sewed them together, and hemmed the edges.
 Here it is after it was attached to the fame. It looks a bit odd because we don't have a 
mattress yet, but hopefully we'll get one as a gift soon.... (hint hint) :)


I'm loving the stripes! I think it will look cool with the fabric I ordered for the bumper
(which came in the mail today, yay!) 

It fits perfectly and covers the bars that hold the mattress up, but doesn't cover up the drawers.
It's kinda exactly what I wanted. I love when that happens.

So the total cost for the crib skirt was $9.88 for the fabric, because I had the thread and velco already. Super easy, super cheap and exactly what I wanted.



Another project I did last week was line the drawers in the dresser. The dresser is in great shape, but the inside of the drawers were a little rough. I didn't want the tiny baby clothes to get snagged by the wood, so thought a bit and decided to line them with wrapping paper and a little mod podge. Again, I found the tutorial for this on YHL (they are great).

I found my wrapping paper at Tai Pan. It was kinda expensive, $7.98 for a roll of wrapping paper? Oh well, I have enough green and black spotted wrapping paper to last many many birthdays and heck, even for Christmas! So don't be surprised if you see this wrapping paper again somewhere.

I vacuumed and wiped all the drawers, then measured and cut my paper. The first attempt was a little rough, I tried to lay the entire square down all at once, and it wrinkled like crazy. No worries, 5 minutes and a damp cloth later, I had all the paper out and the mod podge cleaned out and it was ready for a redo. I just put a very light coat of mod podge on half of the bottom of the drawer, the slowly laid my paper down and smoothed out the wrinkles starting in the middle and working out. All my years laying vinyl at SBT taught me well. (Thanks Brent!) To smooth out the bubbles, I used a CD case with an EFY CD that I had made and sent to Chase on his mission. Cute, I know. After one side was stuck down, I put a little more mod podge on the other side and did the same thing. I let it try for a couple of hours before I put another light coat of mod podge over the paper. It did wrinkle a little bit, but I liked the finished product.

So with the help of my trusty bff Kara, we finished the rest of the drawers while the boys were watching basketball. It was easy and I love the look! The bottom of the drawers are now nice and smooth, and won't be ruining any of baby K's clothes. I can also rip them out if I want to or cover them with another design! I did choose paper that could easily be used for a boy, a girl, or pretty much any room in our house when the dresser is no longer in the nursery.

  The finished product! I think they look pretty snazzy myself. 


The middle drawers. Can't wait until all this is filled up with baby stuff!

I have a date with Kara tomorrow to start on the curtains and the rug/playmat I'm making. I couldn't do any of this stuff without her, thanks Kare Bear! More to follow.....



2 comments:

  1. Britt you are super uber crafty talented! I definitely need help in that department. How bout we make a deal--you help me with my house (ideas, sewing...etc ;-)) and in exchange I will babysit when the cute little dude gets here. Sound good? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that gray fabric, not going to lie when I was reading about gray fabric I couldn't imagine it being so darn cute! But I LOVE that one! I can't wait to see how the rest of your nursery turns out!

    ReplyDelete